Tuesday, July 8, 2025

Video Tutorial: How to Search for Information Online



In this video, I have created a how-to guide instructing students in finding information in an online search. Using Google search, students are asked to locate reliable information on a science topic. I have used the topic of weather and climate for this demonstration. In the video, I have pointed out some key search tips:

  • You cannot cite Google as a resource! You must click on the resources Google finds in its search and cite those resources and their information.
  • You can use the AI Overview created in your search by clicking on the link next to each overview statement. This will bring up related websites where the information was pulled from, and you can then visit those websites for more details.
  • You must check the reliability and credibility of the resources. Do not use Wikipedia, but find websites that are from legitimate sources, such as .gov or .org domain names or verified government agencies. 
  • Visit multiple resources and use multiple websites to gather your information. This will check that the information you have found is consistent across many sources. 


Happy searching and good luck! 

3 comments:

  1. Great video! I love how you emphasize checking credibility and not just stopping at Google’s results. Teaching students to dig deeper and verify across multiple sources is so important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome video, I think you especially did well on addressing the AI overview section of Google-- it's a new feature and I think it's making a lot of people stumble when it comes to research.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought your video was very informative and offered a lot about citing and finding sources. I want to say that I have been one of those that used google as a source in middle school but the way you went about explaining why not is very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete

Final Course Reflection

  LSSL 5391 Final Course Reflection - Digital Storytelling For this assignment, I decided to use Google tools to create a digital story. Y...